A Platform For Exposing The Worst Hater Trolls

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DAVID BRET, HIDEHO AND OTHERS .... THE WORST HATER TROLLS

SHE'S BACK, MOUTHING OFF AGAIN, THIS TIME RE MISSING BABY LISA OF KANSAS

WM3
    WM3

SHE'S BACK, MOUTHING OFF AGAIN, THIS TIME RE MISSING BABY LISA OF KANSAS Empty SHE'S BACK, MOUTHING OFF AGAIN, THIS TIME RE MISSING BABY LISA OF KANSAS

Post  WM3 Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:05 am

Best she can do, internet radio, where's Piers Morgan when you need him? At around 17.50 she starts comparing this case with the McCanns. She just can't leave it be, can she? I suppose she felt unloved after her so called 'bookie' went bottom up, let alone the result re the WM3 case. And of course there is her dear friend, Nancy Grace, showing what a complete and utter prat she is on 'Dancing with the Stars', doing a 'Janet Jackson'- her boob just 'happened' to pop out, all unexpected like - she called it a 'wardrobe malfunction'!.
    lol! lol!

WM3
    WM3

SHE'S BACK, MOUTHING OFF AGAIN, THIS TIME RE MISSING BABY LISA OF KANSAS Empty Re: SHE'S BACK, MOUTHING OFF AGAIN, THIS TIME RE MISSING BABY LISA OF KANSAS

Post  WM3 Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:34 pm

And here's a sick comment she made re Lisa's parents:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

When she can make sick jokes like this in a missing child's case can anyone really believe she's even remotely human?

SHE'S BACK, MOUTHING OFF AGAIN, THIS TIME RE MISSING BABY LISA OF KANSAS Empty Re: SHE'S BACK, MOUTHING OFF AGAIN, THIS TIME RE MISSING BABY LISA OF KANSAS

Post  Guest Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:59 am

Who does this woman think she is? Other than the voice of Low Minds that is.

Some Policemen do decide that someone is guilty, and then attempt to fit the Evidence around their assumptions. We all know this to be true. And sometimes it works, and Innocent people do get convicted.
    This doesn't mean that LE pick any old person just for the sake of it. It means that they believe that their assumptions are correct. And who better to be biased against than the mother of a missing child, especially if she was the last person to see that child.

I'm just wondering what these people would do to blame the mother if she wasn't the last person to see the child. But I have no doubt that they would think of something.
    Anon

SHE'S BACK, MOUTHING OFF AGAIN, THIS TIME RE MISSING BABY LISA OF KANSAS Empty Pat Brown Talking in 2005 about Depression, Bipolar, ADHD and medication

Post  Anon Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:14 am

Let's face it

"Just Say No!" to (doctor prescribed) Drugs for Children and Adults
    The other day my sister and I were chatting with her husband and he related some of the behavioral problems he remembered from his high school days. He talked about the teen pregnancies and fights and drugs and my sister and I just looked at each other blankly.

"Do you remember any of that in school?" she asked.

"No," I said. "I don't remember any of that."

Her husband scoffed at us. "Oh, you are making that up."

But we weren't. We couldn't remember any violence in the school, we remember only one girl who was spirited away with whispered rumors of possible pregnancy, no parents were divorced, and behavior in the classroom was orderly. Occasionally we heard a mild disagreement in the halls. Oh, and my sister recalled some teenagers might have been drinking beer on the weekends. We don't even remember anyone who had dyslexia, bipolar syndrome, ADD problems or who was violent or suicidal. Everyone could read and behave and make it through the day or at least function well enough not to be a real problem for others. Of course, we lived in a fairly wealthy suburb where crime and public display of private problems rarely occurred in those days.

Looking back, I probably would have gotten an ADD or bipolar label if I hadn't been born in the fifties. I had bad handwriting. I was sloppy, careless, lazy and overweight. I was easily distracted from my lessons. I had to be forced out of bed in the morning and I fell asleep constantly in class. I got a C average in high school and took no distinguishing courses. I played the flute and eventually quit when I realized that my lack of practice would finally toss me from last chair to the floor.

As an adult, I quit jobs within weeks (sometimes days or hours). I changed colleges seven times. I was the "problem" child of my family; the one who should be "more like her sisters." But, no one thought I had some kind of biologically determined malfunction, or chemical imbalance. My poor performance in school and my moodiness at home was chalked up to an attitude problem.

Today, professionals would be horrified that I was blamed for my childhood difficulties. But, at least in one way, those folks from the fifties were right. I DID have a crappy attitude; a crappy attitude that resulted from and a difficult (or at least unusual) personality that was not understood by most folks in American society. My family and teachers didn't recognize that my personality was a mismatch to the educational and societal system of the day. Even today, few parents and teachers understand some children's inability to function well in certain prescribed settings. The only difference in the "old" days is that they didn't tolerate misbehavior and excuses and they didn't try to medicate away the problems. Today an awful lot of dreadful behavior is acceptable and when teachers and parents finally do get fed up with it, instead of finding a different learning and living environment for these students, they make up medical and psychiatric problems for them and give them drugs to make them tolerable to deal with.

If I were growing up in the United States today, I wouldn't be labeled as dyslexic because I was a fast reader and good in math. I would, however, been easily labeled ADHD or possibly bipolar. As an adult today, I now see friends of mine being labeled as ADD in their forties and fifties! These people are dealing with overload and much rushing around and have difficulty concentrating and remembering things. Others are taking Zoloft and other medications for depression. They think they have a chemical imbalance when their life simply sucks. They are in bad relationships, unchallenging jobs, ruts that include mind numbing repetitiveness and major boredom, and some are suffering the symptoms of midlife crisis and empty nest syndrome.

Others that I know have been diagnosed as bipolar, and while they are indeed mentally ill (at that time of their lives); they are not chemically or biologically defective. These are people who have found the path of life very difficult. They may have very artistic personalities and are people striving for success in fields that rapidly eat folks up and spit them out. Writers, actors, singers, comedians, artists - the chances of even a few of these people becoming noted in their fields or earning a living from their art is remote. Struggling to be recognized, being raked over the coals by the critics, being insulted and humiliated, is not very easy on the psyche. Along with the emotional damage such fields mete out, the fight for survival and success may require performing in dumps far away from home for months at a time, being paid peanuts for shows, selling only a dozen copies of one's self-published books (and only to relatives), or struggling for a dozen years to make it in Hollywood or on Broadway and still working a job as a waiter while getting no more than bit part. These are not elements that make up a prescription for a happy life. No wonder these determined folks become depressed and suicidal. But do they need medication? Perhaps, yes, but only as a temporary measure if they are thinking of killing themselves; not as a lifelong way of covering up what is making them unhappy. Unhappiness doesn't just come out of nowhere, regardless of how quickly it sneaks up on us. Mentally ill people who describe a horrible black cloud rolling in or the sudden inability to function are not victims of a sudden imbalance in their systems. They are dealing with the return of unresolved issues, failure, and reality slapping them in the face yet again. But even as adults we may find it easier to look for a medical "reason" instead of figuring out what our real problems are and dealing with them.

Let's go back to my somewhat unsuccessful childhood. Bad handwriting may well have been at the crux of my problems. I found writing with a pencil ungodly slow. My mind moves at fairly fast rate of thinking and I couldn't make my pencil keep up with it. Therefore, I wrote quickly and readable and attractive penmanship was the loser. I never developed the ability to slow down my thought to match a fine style of handwriting. I suffered with this problem into college. By then my writing was so appalling, I couldn't read my notes from class. I lacked the patience to scrawl my way through tests and papers. I simply hated school.

But, my father did do me a great favor in life. He forced (actually bribed) me to take typing. I had refused to take the class for fear learning typing meant I would end up a secretary, a fate I considered worse than hell. But, the bribe was good enough (a summer camp I really wanted to attend) that I relented and took the class. I was an excellent typist. My only problem with actually enjoying typing in those days was the inability to erase and edit on those ancient machines we called typewriters. I lacked the temperament to deal with this and often ripped papers out of my typewriter, crunched them angrily into balls and threw them onto the ground. I was still waiting for technology to catch up with my brain.

Finally, it did. Computers arrived and, suddenly, I was not incompetent with writing any more (at least my literary agent doesn't thinks so). I can write as fast as I can think, I can edit in a flash, and I no longer suffer frustration when taking a class or writing a paper. I write for work and I write for pleasure. I send emails now instead feeling bad about not writing letters, another area of life I had failed miserably in. Now, I am considered a good communicator. Technology has made a success out of me, not medication.

Consider another of my youthful problems. I was deemed lazy and distracted. My mother had to yell at me to get out of bed every morning. I struggled through school in a half daze, my left elbow sliding on the slanted desk until it fell off the edge and jolted me out of my daydreams. If I was going to school today, I would be on Ritalin because the simple diagnosis would have required work to deal with. My real problem was that I was bored and a night person.

I quit job after job until I finally realized that I need challenge and a workday that didn't require getting up with the sun. It took until my thirties to work outside the home in a successful job situation. I became a medical sign language interpreter and worked for hospitals on call to the emergency room. I had some daytime work, too, early morning surgeries and an occasional early morning doctor appointment and I bitched my way to those, but I still showed up on time and in a pleasant frame of mind. Most of the time I worked erratic hours, often through the night, as one of the crazies who inhabit the emergency room night shift. I loved it. I managed the interpreter service and was a well loved interpreter for ten years. I was called dedicated, hardworking, extremely competent, good natured and dependable. I worked days on end without sleep (long births and difficult emergencies cases) and never complained when I had to get up at three in the morning and drive through a snowstorm. I always had a smile on my face. I had gone from being an unhappy employee who quit in short time to one in extreme demand. What caused the change? A challenging work environment that didn't require eight hours of repetitive work in an office starting at 8 AM in the morning.

I was "lazy" in school because I had to get up to early every day (after staying up reading as a night person will do to two or three in the morning) and because the schoolwork was not challenging enough for me. I was told to reread chapters because other students hadn't done their homework. I listened to endless explanations to what I considered stupid questions. I was tired and bored. I didn't need medication. I needed a different kind of school. The problems continued into college with me staggering into early morning classes, being bored with the slowness of the lesson plans, and struggling still with my writing utensil difficulties. It wasn't until I became a stay-at-home mom and homeschooled my children that I began to understand what my problems were. I was suddenly happy. The one person in the world people thought would be miserable with motherhood turned out to love it. I had freedom, I had challenge, and I was in control of making a successful program of my work. When I finally chose to go back into the work world outside of the house, I knew what kind of situation would work for me.

Then, after ten years of sign language interpreting, I changed fields. Running my own criminal profiling agency has also afforded me great challenge and excellent control of my work environment. I work hard and sometimes long and odd hours; I deal with a lot of frustrations and setbacks and a heavy work load. I have to put up with stupid battles with people over turf and egos in this field. But, still, I love the work and I am never bored. When I get up at ten in the morning (on days when I don't get stuck doing early morning news appearances), no one thinks I am lazy. They know I have been up half the night working on a case or writing on my computer.

Yes, I was "cured" without medication. I didn't grow out of my "condition"; I grew to appreciate it. I learned that my personality was a fine fit for certain circumstances of life. People with my personality are needed. People with other kinds of personalities are needed also. If everyone were like me, there would be no one to do office work. If there were no personalities like mine, you would have no police officers or emergency workers manning the wee hours of the morning.

But, there is more to dealing with "ADD" and "bipolar" children than understanding their personality. We need to fix the crazy world around them. One can't expect certain children to do well with their activities if they have so many of them they can't possibly become good at any. We can't expect our children to learn to read and not be "dyslexic" (another condition created by psychologists and the failing education system) if we don't have quiet times to sit and read together with our young children or make reading a priority for our older ones. We have to always make sure our children don't get left behind if they exhibit "learning difficulties." They may need more of our time, less television and video games, and a better home and educational environment. Some kids these days are falling behind in their schoolwork because the bad behavior of their classmates leaves little time teachers to actually instruct. Others fear for their physical safety and can't pass that hurdle to be focus in their lessons.

One of my children received the terrible label "learning disabled" before he entered our lives (at age six) and it was expected he would be put in special education classes. I chose to home school instead. He did indeed struggle with learning which can be expected when you have spent six years in a less than stable home environment. School just isn't high on the level of priorities of kids who don't know where they are going to be sleeping the next day and fear of failing makes it difficult for them to approach any kind of learning without being afraid of losing again. But, he eventually DID learn and he learned well.

My supposedly learning disabled son grew up just fine. He attended college, played beautiful piano, and excelled at baseball. He reads voraciously, is a very upstanding citizen, and is successfully employed in the law enforcement field. There was nothing at all wrong with his brain and, if I had left him in school, he would have been put on medication and shunted off into classes of a very depressing nature. He simply needed the extra time and attention he had been deprived of earlier in his life to catch up in the areas he was struggling with.

And what about these adults on medications? Who sold us this stupid idea that depression is a chemical problem in the brain? Depression is a sign of mental health. It means you are clearly seeing the reality of your life and you are not happy with it. Depression is like pain; it is intended to be a warning sign that you need to take action. Depression can also be very normal. When one is dealing with divorce or death, job loss or retirement, or an empty nest after years of raising children, it would be ABNORMAL to be feeling ecstatic (unless you hated the deceased, wanted to get rid of the mate, or were totally fed up with the kids or your job). Unexpected tragedies of life have to be struggled through, accepted, and fought back against.

I became both single again and an empty nester in the same year. This was not life as I knew it or planned it. Not only that, I had to leave my beloved home, the state my three grown kids were living in, my pets, and move away to live at my sister's home in another state. This was not the easiest thing I had ever done and I felt a large loss in my life and a state of being left unanchored and adrift.

Yes, I was depressed. But, I fought back. I didn't get drugs. I got a life. I made new friends, took up new hobbies, and thanked God my life wasn't worse. I had a great sister who I am best friends with, wonderful children, kind parents who are still alive, and a fulfilling career. I joined a dance group and a book club, picked a new foreign language to learn, made new friends, traveled, and accepted the exciting challenges in my life. Three years have passed and I am thrilled with every day I am able to experience life on earth.

My feelings weren't something to medicate away. They were telling me to take stock of my life and what I wanted. They told me to analyze my situation, get new ideas, and take chances. Medication would have prevented me from moving on.

Let's face it. "Medication" for children and adults is nothing more than street drugs given a blessing. We should be aware that - instead of seeking to correct our out-of-balance lives and improve our physical and mental health - we are taking what is the equivalent of amphetamines (speed) to make ourselves artificially happy or at least oblivious to caring whether we are achieving success in life. Doctors who give this crap out as a long-term measure are no better than the pushers down on the street corner and if we take this stuff for longer than an emergency period of our lives, we are drug users, plain and simple. If we give this poison to our kids, we are contributing to the delinquency of minors. Let's start seeing drugs for what they are - drugs. As parents and teachers and physicians, we should, "Just say no to drugs," shouldn't we?

Pat Brown
    October 29, 2005

WM3
    WM3

Post  WM3 Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:49 am

@Anon

I have read that and it shrieks of 'control' in every line. I had a loving, wonderful upbringing, so I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't. I don't go around forcing my pseudo opinions on them. I am amused by her writing story. I speed read, have done since I was little, and I have good, clear pleasant on the eye writing - not my words but those of others. I go though books like cr*p through a goose, I cannot keep away from them. And she says she had an 'attitude problem'; well, she certainly hasn't got over that one; her attitude is that she is right and everyone else is wrong. I am not enamoured of anyone who endlessly pontificates, they strike me as rather inadequate - covering up things with a veneer of being very knowledgeable in everything. I do hope she tries this stupid idea of visiting Rothley and demanding to enter houses and search them, she will soon learn what the Brits mean by 'a bunch of fives'. And as for a visit to Portugal, wouldn't get me going over there and ordering the PJ around, I'd like to reach my next birthday in one piece.
    Anon

Post  Anon Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:58 am

@WM3

The more I read of the woman, the more I detest her. I do wonder how her lawyer feels about the drug taking. After all she had to come out and admit she is bipolar after that car accident.

Bipolar disorder, also known as manic depression, is known as the genius disease (many of us like to think). Mark Twain had it, as did Ludwig Von Beethoven, Winston Churchill, Ernest Hemingway, Teddy Roosevelt and Vincent Van Gogh. So does Ted Turner, Jane Pauley, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and, I suspect, Charlie Sheen.

It is a disease that is characterized by shifts in mood, thinking and behavior--mania on one pole and depression on the other. One in 45 people have it, which is more than six million people. And, 20 percent of the people who have it commit suicide. But once it is diagnosed, patients can go on to live normal, fulfilling lives if they manage their medication as prescribed.

WM3
    WM3

Post  WM3 Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:15 pm

@ Anon

Now tell me, does she expect people with diabetes to stop taking their drugs? Or people with RA, to stop the pills that give them daily relief? Or - there are so many examples, are there not? But it is well known that those who give up smoking tend to labor the point a lot to try and bring people round to their point of view, so do people who have lost weight - after all, thinner is healthier, non-smokers are healthier - or is it? It is good if people can cut down on their medication, but if someone is taking something to help their body keep going, like a blood thinner etc, who has the right to tell them to stop? As the lady doth protest too much, I am given to wondering whether she takes forbidden substances, just a question, not a statement of fact.
    WM3
    WM3

Post  WM3 Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:59 pm

Another unamused comment re brown's dismissal of PPD:

WTF Wednesday - PPD is Real or Why AOL News needs a fact checker!
    By Sara on August 18, 2010 11:31 AM

Well it's Wednesday again and as has been the case over the past few weeks, apparently it's the WTF day as opposed to Friday for me. Today though - WTF seems almost too minimal for how insane and destructive this story is.

This week as I'm sure most of you read in the media, a mother in South Carolina killed her children and then drove them into a river in her car. Incomprehensible. Tragic.

This is NOT the basis of my WTF. Who knows what this woman was going through. No, I'm talking about AOL 'News' who had Pat Brown, a criminal profiler, comment on the story - he had this to say [the story has since been revised to take out the references to postpartum...sorry, too little too late - damage done].

"Most women who suffer depression after their children are born are suffering from post-how-did-I-get-stuck-with-this-kid, this body, this life? They may be depressed, but it is their situation and their psychopathic personality that brings them to kill their children, and not some chemical malfunction."

WTF?!?!?! How dare you. And AOL - how dare you publish this??? What sort of expert is this?? I've written here about my own struggle with PPD. **I need a sidenote here, I keep trying to write and I keep being drawn back to this 'psychopathic personality' line and I'm so, so enraged that I almost can't focus.** I was fortunate, I asked for help in time and I got it. And while I can only speak to my own experience, I found the right drug, caught up on my sleep and surrounded myself with support systems...and I was fine, in time. But how many women aren't as fortunate? What about the mom who today decides, "I need help", then googles post partum and gets that story - is she going to go for help? No! Never! She'll suffer in silence like so many women have over the years.

Postpartum is real. If you want proof, check out the photo gallery at Postpartum Progress. I looked through it last night with tears going down my cheeks. These are the SURVIVORS and I'm going to be honoured to add this picture of Will and I to the gallery.

How dare anyone suggest we are a bunch of women longing for our old lives, wishing we didn't have our kids. And how dare anyone choose to publish such a ridiculous inaccuracy. WTF indeed!

WM3
    WM3

Post  WM3 Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:05 pm

And This Is Why The Stigma Of Depression Persists August 19, 2010

Erin @ 6:52 am
    Yesterday, AOLNews posted an article about a women in South Carolina who murdered her two sons which contained a quote from a supposed “expert” about postpartum depression:

“Most women who suffer depression after their children are born are suffering from post-how-did-I-get-stuck-with-this-kid, this body, this life? They may be depressed, but it is their situation and their psychopathic personality that brings them to kill their children, and not some chemical malfunction.” – Pat Brown Investigative Criminal Profiler

After much uproar, AOLNews removed the quote from the story. While I found this quote insensitive, ignorant, and annoying, it didn’t provoke me to post about it.

That is, until now. Multiple women have contacted Pat Brown and shared the reponses they recived with Katherine Stone over at Postpartum Progress. The abosolute worst one, the one that gets my blood boiling, the one that pisses me off to no end and truly offends me is this:

“Generally speaking, I don’t buy the chemical imbalance theory for any depression; I believe people just don’t want to deal with real life issues and the fact that sometimes life is simply depressing and damn difficult. It isn’t about chemical imbalance but tough times and our own issues.
    Pat Brown
    Investigative Criminal Profiler”

I am too disgusted to say anything more.
    WM3
    WM3

Post  WM3 Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:33 pm

Ccomment from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Candace April

When I've been quoted as an expert in my field, reporters have checked my credentials and only quoted me in areas where I have the expertise to make statements.

The original quote from Pat Brown should never have been used--it was about the nature of postpartum depression and, yes, it did impugn it as a diagnosis. If someone is a criminologist, quote them only as a criminologist, not in a place where you need a psychologist.

If you read the post at Pretty Babies, you will see that Pat Brown again clarifies that she "doesn't buy" the idea of postpartum depression (or any depression) as a chemical imbalance or even a diagnosis.

This is akin to picking a name out of a phone book and asking the person to provide an expert quote for your article.

And from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    katstone

Actually Ms. Brown wouldn't be correct. Women with PPD don't commit infanticide. Women with postpartum psychosis (different illness) sometimes do because they are compelled by delusions and hallucinations. There are also people who kill their children for reasons having nothing to do with PPD or PPP.

I realize that the topic is going to come up every time there is a story when a woman kills a baby or young child. Though it hurts me every time it happens, I realize that someone is always going to ask whether PPD or PPP played a part. I'm trying to come to terms with that. I don't think I have to come to terms, though, with a discussion like that being played out in an irresponsible, non-factual way.

katstone

...... the story called it a crock. The story that AOL News was responsible for fact checking and editing. The story that AOL news created where they could have picked any NUMBER of people to comment but they chose to publish the comment of ONE person, the completely uninformed Pat Brown. They are responsible for having spread this ignorance onto the internet where millions of people could read it. If not for AOL, we wouldn't have ever had to see such drivel, nor defend against it. This is AOL's fault.
    WM3
    WM3

Post  WM3 Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:47 pm

Suffering Isn't A Choice
    August 19, 2010 By Amy [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    (4th post down)

I typically don’t participate in the “outrage of the day” memes for a couple of reasons. The first is that I’m pretty apathetic, in a live-and-let-live kind of way. I don’t get terribly worked up over homeschooling or boycotts becuase I really just don’t care how other people choose to live their lives. My approval or disapproval or opinion means bupkiss.
    I also don’t chime in because I loathe unoriginality. By the time I get off work and get everyone fed and can sit down to write, a couple of dozen other bloggers have tackled the subject, and they’ve probably done so better than I ever could. So I just ignore my inner monologue and go watch So You Think You Can Dance or something.

But today is different. I can’t not say something today. Because what I, and many others, are outraged about today can’t be ignored. I can’t be apathetic, because lives are at stake. And it’s a very personal topic for me.

Earlier today, AOL posted an article about the South Carolina mom who killed her two children. In that article, criminal profiler Pat Brown provided an expert quote. The problem is, Pat Brown decided to give her “expert” opinion on postpartum depression. And she said she thinks it’s a crock. She doesn’t think there’s any kind of hormonal or chemical changes in the body after pregnancy. She thinks that women who are depressed after giving birth are just kind of ticked off because they’re fat or because they can’t go out with their friends as often. I kid you not.

News flash, Pat Brown. You’re a criminologist, not a doctor. Stick to what you know.

Well, it didn’t take long before the blogosphere was up in arms. And rightfully so. The backlash was so sudden and severe that the editor had to amend the article and remove Brown’s quotes. (Shame on writer David Lohr for even including such a specious quote, and shame on the editors for let it slip through in the first place.)

I’m not here to argue the finer medical points of postpartum depression or psychiatry or obstetrics or endocrinology. I, for one, know not to spout off at the mouth about things I’m not well-versed in. And besides, I think there’s only a relatively small amount of people as stupid as Pat Brown or Tom Cruise, who think that there are no hormonal or chemical changes in the body during and after pregnancy.

But I do know that there is still a huge stigma when it comes to any kind of mental health issue. And there’s also a huge stigma about women who are less than picture-perfect new moms. These stigmas need to disappear, NOW. And people like Pat Brown and Tom Cruise don’t help that happen.

I am not afraid to say to all the world that I suffered pretty severe postpartum depression after the birth of my first child. It was one of the scariest experiences of my life. As if coping with a new baby wasn’t hard enough, I was losing my mind. And I didn’t know what to do about it. There I was, well-educated and with a loving family and friends, and I was still hopeless and helpless. I was scared to say anything to anyone. Scared that my child might be taken away from me, but then also scared that he wouldn’t be. Scared that everyone would think less of me if I was less than perfect. Scared that if I saw the wrong doctor, my cries for help would be ignored. I can still remember the horrible workings of my post-pregnancy mind like it was yesterday. I had hallucinations and violent thoughts. And it wasn’t because I thought I was fat, fer chrissakes.

So I’m speaking out today in a feeble attempt to counteract the Pat Browns and Tom Cruises of the world. I’m speaking to let women know that postpartum depression is real. It happens. You don’t have to be poor or dumb or a bad mother for it to happen, either. It’s a result of chemical imbalances and raging hormones and sleep deprivation and it is fixable and it is not your fault.

My advice? If you’re pregnant, and you’re feeling down or nervous, quit reading all those sickeningly sweet pregnancy blogs and listening to the women in your life telling you how special pregnancy is. Sure, for some people it is. But for many, pregnancy sucks. It’s a nightmarish 40 weeks of pain and discomfort and stress. And a bad preganancy can set you up for postpartum depression.

And if you’re a new mom, and you’re feeling the least bit overwhelmed or depressed, talk to someone. Immediately. Not someone judgmental. Talk to someone who will listen. Heck, let me know if you want to talk — I’ll give you my phone number. Better yet, talk to an expert. A real doctor. Do not be ashamed. Do not be afraid. Do not think you can’t go on meds because you need to breastfeed — your mental health is way more important than breast milk, for pete’s sake.

Please, please, please don’t let the naysayers and dummies and people who don’t have a clue scare you from taking care of yourself. And please believe me when I say everything will be OK.

Oh, and one day, if you want to, you can get your body back and go out with your friends again. Yeehaw!

Post  Guest Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:49 pm

Xcuse me. Who said Pat Brown is a Criminologist, or even a Criminal Profiler?

Oh, sorry. It was her. And I am an Astro Physicist. No really, I am.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:18 am